Elevate Basketball Training

Omschrijving van je concept:

I started this business last year with the hopes of clients "elevating" their basketball skills. I saw a market and since I love basketball so much decided to start this venture. 

What I noticed is kids as well as adults can use this, but my major issue is pricing.

I started out with private sessions of 45 euros, no one was intrested for more that two months. I dropped my prices to 20 euros per session for 1.5 hours and still some people found that expensive.

The average price for a basketball personal trainer in the USA is 50 dollars. Then again the culture and mentality towards sports in general is different than the Netherlands.

I went further by comparing my prices to personal football trainers, dance class prices, etc. 

I settles at €20 for adults, €15 for kids 12 -18 and €10 for kids under 12. 

Now to factor in transportation cost ( gas, parking fees,etc). Expertise, certifications, knowledge, experience. Comes the big questions, am I under valuing myself and are my prices too low or too high?

There is also the fact of gyms rentals, everything is pretty much owned by Sportbedrijfrotterdam and at my prices I won't make any profit, especially from the 1 on 1 sessions.

Who can offer aome advice on how to navigate this dilemna. Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Omschrijf wat je tot nu toe zelf gedaan hebt hiervoor:

I have done majority of my sessions on outdoor courts because of the summer months, which was dependant on the weather ( rainy or too hot). Group sessions have also been done outdoors.

I have about 6 clients currently, and some have been training with me since May. Aome of them saw the value in the training and bought another package (4,8,12) sessions.

Location of the courts were always in the vicinity of the clients. There are only 3 reasonable outdoor courts in all of Rotterdam. These are no priority for the Gemeentee .

I have done clinics in the month of August together with another basketball organisation. Eight free clinics twice a week for 2 hours.

Wat is de uitdaging die je met je concept op wil lossen:

The biggest challenge at the moment for me is finding a gym where I dont have to pay a ridiculous amount of rent, a personal place where I can access at anytime without disturbing anyone.

Changing the mindset of parents and kids to understand without training the chance of going further is almost impossible.

The last is my prices, should I keep them as is or increase them based in my experience, knowledge, etc.

Hoe is dit anders dan bestaande concepten:

There is no existing concepts. At least ones that are registered as a business.

Apart from Basketball clubs that train on average twice a week for 1.5 hours in a team setting, there are not many options.

Basketball clubs lack coaches, and kids that are interested wind up on the waiting list. In a team practice there is limited attention to a player.  That us why I want to start this business.

Wat voor feedback hoop je te krijgen:

Any professional advice on pricing strategies. 

Information on gyms whether via a school or a location that can accomodate a half or full court customised for basketball training.

I was looking into Qredits to start out, was unsure of whether it will be profitable since the clients are not lining up.

Link naar reactie

Aanbevolen berichten

2 antwoorden op deze vraag

4 minuten geleden, Elevate Bball zei:

I went further by comparing my prices to personal football trainers, dance class prices, etc. 

I settles at €20 for adults, €15 for kids 12 -18 and €10 for kids under 12. 

Did you come to these prices by comparing your prices to personal football trainers and dance class prices?

In my opinion, your prices aren't high. 1-on-1 training is pretty exclusive, so is doesn't sound weird to pay for that. Besides to that, it doesn't sounds like a tariff that you can work for.  Especially if you have to pay for the rental of a gym. With €10 - €20 an hour it sounds pretty hard to earn enough to keep your business alive,  as you have to pay taxes, insurance, etc. I'm not a pricing expert, but I think you have to find out how you can increase your hourly income.

12 minuten geleden, Elevate Bball zei:

I have done clinics in the month of August together with another basketball organisation. Eight free clinics twice a week for 2 hours.

Did this work to encourage people to get better in basketball? It could be a good option to let them experience a clinic and try to convert them to a paying customer from there.

14 minuten geleden, Elevate Bball zei:

Basketball clubs lack coaches, and kids that are interested wind up on the waiting list.

Have you considered a collaboration with basketball clubs? It sounds like their gyms aren't full the whole week, if they lack coaches. Is it possible to use/hire their gym? Or even better, help them get rid of their waiting list by offering the kids your services.

16 minuten geleden, Elevate Bball zei:

In a team practice there is limited attention to a player.  That us why I want to start this business.

Have you considered offering your services to small groups? I assume a regular basketball teampractice has about 6-10 kids, how about you create groups of 2-4 kids? With that size you can still give them the personal attention, but your hourly income will increase.

25 minuten geleden, Elevate Bball zei:

Changing the mindset of parents and kids to understand without training the chance of going further is almost impossible.

Maybe you can get in touch with schools to give clinics to their classes. That could be an opportunity to show your skills and yourself, maybe some kids will get excited and want to get more training from you.

26 minuten geleden, Elevate Bball zei:

I was looking into Qredits to start out, was unsure of whether it will be profitable since the clients are not lining up.

Where do you need a funding for? It doesn't sound like you really need to invest, except for some equipment maybe and costs like rent for a gym. It's always better to avoid debts if it isn't really necessary.

Link naar reactie

As a fellow bball player and coach it is easy to pinpoint your problem: dutch sporting culture is heavily arranged via bball clubs. Being a member of this club will cost about 180 - 300 euros per year! 

It's hard to compete with that unless you have another skill or motivation in what you are offering. 

Take a look at former NBA player Henk Pieterse: he combines his skills (and entertaining personality I might add) with a campaign against bullying in schools. 

Which brings me to another obstacle: Dutch bball players usually don't aspire to reach the NCAA, let alone the NBA. It's hard to sell your skills as a personal trainer in a country where the ambition to become the best at bball is scarce.

Good luck nevertheless

DenariusAdvies: Tax | M&A | Legal

Link naar reactie
Gast
Dit topic is nu gesloten voor nieuwe reacties.
Hide Sidebar
  • Wil je onze Nieuwsflits ontvangen?
    Deze verzenden we elk kwartaal.