South African in North Holland - starting my own business?

First of all I would like to apologize for not writing in Dutch,

but I'm new in this country and I'm trying my best to learn dutch.

I'm a young white South African male looking for some advice.

I'm a very busy person with school and sport and I have no time for work.

I would like to know if anyone could give me any advice of how I can make money working out of house or maybe starting own business.

I would gladly receive any comments about this submit.

A lot of thanks

Rauty

[changed the headline - moderator]

Link naar reactie

Aanbevolen berichten

I'm a very busy person with school and sport and I have no time for work.

Rauty

Hi Rauty, this may come as a shocking question to you, but how do you expect to make money when you have no time?

My advice to you is: see how important making money is compared to your current acitivities. If making money is more important, for whatever reason, then you might need to consider quiting one or more extracurricular activities.

As for how you can make money, provided you make time for that, I don't think anyone can advise you here. What excites you? What are your talents? What are you prepared to do? How have you helped people in the past and would they be willing to pay for that?

My suggestion is: go to a temping agency, there is plenty of work to do! If you want to start a company, think of an idea, write a plan and go for it.

Download: Capture. Deliver. Excel. to learn about the principles, strategies and processes of business writing.

Link naar reactie

Yeah uhmm, let me think... Makinging money without working... uhmm... Are you good looking or well hung ? ::)

If not you do have to work hard to make some money as an entrepreneur.

By the way, do you heve a Dutch workingpermit?

Heeft mijn antwoord je goed geholpen? Dan is een reusje nooit weg.

Link naar reactie

Well I do have a Dutch passport , I guess I'm lucky my mother is dutch.

And offcaurse we south africans are good looking ;)

Yeah, that's what I thought. But my guess is you don't want to make your money that way (on your back).

Anyway, what did you have in mind when you thought you wanted to be an entrepreneur who didn't have to work hard?

Link naar reactie

Well I'm a huge rugby fanatic , I play it , I watch it and it's my life .

And as you know in South Africa it is a hugh sport.

But in Holland it's still a minor sport few people know about it.

So couple of friends and I want to make rugby big in holland.

The dutch doesn't even realize the talent in this country,

some rugby'ers in other countries make as much money as football stars.

The problem is we have no Idee how to make it big , how to make money of it ?

Do you maybe have any suggestions?

Link naar reactie

Well first of all, we do have a rugby league in our country. Its not big or professional, but it does have enthousiastic followers.

If your "business modell" is to make rugby BIG in the Netherlands, how do you expect to make money of that?

Link naar reactie

I'm a big rugby fan as well and I'm planning to play again when I healed from some injuries. There is indeed a rugby board in holland and there are some rugbyclubs. (look for www.rugby.nl, if you want to play with other south africans go to www.ascrum.nl)

I never understood why rugby didn't took off here in Holland. In general Dutch guys are tall, healthy and strong. I could think off a couple of reasons: first of all, the dutch public is very focused two or three sports, such as soccer, skating and cycling and lately darts, but that ain't a sport.

Second, our national rugby board is a mess; financial, conflicts between the board and clubs, conflicts between clubs. There isn't a primary goal and everybody has a double agenda.

Third, and this has everything to do with point 2, they should start with the youth for example: start a national highschool league and get trainers to the schools. Some efforts were made but wind up to nothing. (notice point 2)

There are people who are very willing to help you getting rugby popular here but you have to put effort in it and I don't think you get any money out of it. I suggest you visit the website you visited before. Good Luck !

Link naar reactie

At first I introduced rugby to alot of people and all of them loved it,

it's a sport that has everything . You have to be strong , quick , you have to be smart and it's 80 minutes puur adrenaline . It's a hugh sport in countries around us. In England , France , Ireland , Schotland and wales it's one of the top sports in there country. I don't see why it couldn't be a top sport in holland?

Link naar reactie

>:(Ja luister eens Gijs als je over alles zo redeneert gebeurt er natuurlijk niks meer. Daarbij bestaat er naar mijn mening een overkill aan voetbal en er mag wel eens plaats worden gemaakt voor andere sporten. Kijk eens naar de Engelsen en de Fransen die gewoon lekker alles uitzenden.

Link naar reactie

But the question remains; As an entrepreneur, how are YOU goïng to benefit from promoting the sport. It's goïng to cost a lot of money and most probably you are not the one who is goïng to benefit from the returns. Unless you have figured out a way around that problem.

Link naar reactie

At first I introduced rugby to alot of people and all of them loved it,

it's a sport that has everything . You have to be strong , quick , you have to be smart and it's 80 minutes puur adrenaline . It's a hugh sport in countries around us. In England , France , Ireland , Schotland and wales it's one of the top sports in there country. I don't see why it couldn't be a top sport in holland?

In England they have soccer, France has soccer and cycling, Ireland has hurling. They just don't seem to have that much sports that are competing for popularity as in the Netherlands. But maybe that is only my impression.

Link naar reactie

>:(Ja luister eens Gijs als je over alles zo redeneert gebeurt er natuurlijk niks meer. Daarbij bestaat er naar mijn mening een overkill aan voetbal en er mag wel eens plaats worden gemaakt voor andere sporten. Kijk eens naar de Engelsen en de Fransen die gewoon lekker alles uitzenden.

Let's keep it in English so our topicstarter can read it to. I do not say that rugby has no chance but it will have to bring a lot extra. I also agree with your view of to much soccer but you cann't chance that as an individual.

Link naar reactie

True true gijs you do got a point,

but think about it rugby it's just not one sport it's more .

It's a combined sport of wrestling , judo, athletics, voetball , american football,handbal I can go on and on. Well I think the biggest problem is to little publicity?

Link naar reactie

I'll think more people will say that about the sport they do. You'll need strength, condition, skills, etc. Turning a sport big has to do with publicity but also getting people enthousiastic to play themselfs. And that's the hard part. Everybody will have friends that are playing soccer, hockey, etc. They will be influenced to join them. How will you convince people that they have to choose rugby? It's a long shot...

I got a compliment a couple of weeks ago about the way the Volleyball bond did this. They have been very active on primary schools with getting children to know the sport, invite them for a training, etc. I think that's the way to go. But you'll need a big network and you'll have the official bond to handle with!

Link naar reactie

Making sports big that are not a part of a countries culture for a longer time is tough. They tried to force up American Football to us by spending loads of money in a team called the Amsterdam Admirals (anyone remember them? ;))

But, if u dont have tons of money to spend, u need to be creative. But I`m sure it will take time to realise your ambitions. Gather people around you who are in for your idea, build a rugby-website or forum, and so on. In the Netherlands rugby is relative populair in specific segments of the population (like students, certain foreigners, etc.). Try to map these segments and use them to spread the rugby fever. ;)

Link naar reactie
Gast
Dit topic is nu gesloten voor nieuwe reacties.
Hide Sidebar
  • Wil je onze Nieuwsflits ontvangen?
    Deze verzenden we elk kwartaal.