Google Phone

Google Phone knows what you want before you search

Patent gurus have discovered an interesting patent filing from Google that could reveal the applications they are planning for the Google phone.

The patent filing details an application that can predict what a user is searching for or the words they are typing in a text message by taking into account the users location, previous searching / messaging history and even the time of day.

This patent is truly groundbreaking in what the application could do. Imagine that you are planning a night out in London. At 6pm Google could predict you are looking for a restaurant and, given your history of looking for directions to Chinese restaurants every week, would select an array of suitable places for you to eat.

Bron: http://www.mad4mobilephones.com/news/621/

Link naar reactie

Aanbevolen berichten

13 antwoorden op deze vraag

Ik heb een tijdje onderzoek gedaan naar dit soort applicaties, kwam daarbij een leuk artikel over de Tivo (intelligentie video recorder) tegen, wilde ik jullie niet onthouden (bron is Wallstreet Journal):

Oh no! My TiVo thinks I'm gay

By Jeffrey Zaslow

The Wall Street Journal

Basil Iwanyk is not a neo-Nazi. Lukas Karlsson isn't a shadowy stalker. David S. Cohen is not Korean.

But all of them live with a machine that seems intent on giving them such labels. It's their TiVo, the digital video-recorder that records some programs it just assumes its owner will like, based on shows the viewer has chosen to record. A phone call the machine makes to TiVo in San Jose, Calif., once a day provides key information. As these men learned, when TiVo thinks it has you pegged, there's just one way to change its "mind": outfox it.

Iwanyk, 32, first suspected that his TiVo thought he was gay, because it inexplicably kept recording programs with gay themes. A film studio executive in Los Angeles and the self-described "straightest guy on earth," he tried to tame TiVo's gay fixation by recording war movies and other "guy stuff."

"The problem was, I overcompensated," he says. "It started giving me documentaries on Joseph Goebbels and Adolf Eichmann. It stopped thinking I was gay and decided I was a crazy guy reminiscing about the Third Reich."

He mentioned his TiVo tussle to a friend, who told an executive at CBS' The King of Queens, who then wrote an episode with a My-TiVo-thinks-I'm-gay subplot.

A lot of gadgets and Web sites feature "personalization technologies" that profile consumers by tracking what they watch, listen to or buy. The software, embedded in sites such as Amazon.com and CDNOW.com, then recommends other books, videos and music based on a customer's tastes.

Many consumers appreciate having computers delve into their hearts and heads. But some say it gives them the willies, because the machines either know them too well or make cocksure assumptions about them that are way off base. That's why even TiVo lovers are tempted to hoodwink it -- a phenomenon that was also spoofed this year on another TV show, HBO's The Mind of the Married Man.

Mike Binder, creator and star of that show, had set his home TiVo to record his 1999 movie, The Sex Monster, about a man whose wife becomes bisexual. After that, Binder's TiVo assumed he would enjoy a steady stream of gay programming. Unnerved, he counteracted the onslaught by recording the Playboy Channel and MTV's spring-break bikini coverage. It worked, he says. "My TiVo doesn't look at me funny anymore."

His wife, however, was taken aback when she saw all the half-naked women he was ordering through TiVo. He told her those women meant nothing to him: "I'm just counterprogramming because TiVo thinks I'm gay." She was unamused. The incident inspired an episode of his show.

Though some users contend TiVo has sex on the brain, TiVo's general manager, Brodie Keast, explains that the box is merely "reacting to feedback you give it." Still, the machine employs algorithms -- searching several thousand key details (favorite actors, movie and TV genres) -- that leave some people wondering whether it is judging their predilections.

Karlsson, 26, says he "pre-emptively" found all the religious shows in his TV listings and used the "thumbs down" button on his remote control to tell TiVo he has no interest in them. (Giving three thumbs down is the best way to block a program.) After that, his TiVo recorded movies about creepy homicides. "They all have titles like Murder on Skeleton Isle," says the computer system administrator in Cambridge, Mass.

He uses the "thumbs" button to tell TiVo he hates such films. He also orders cooking shows, which softens TiVo's view of him. "I don't want it thinking I'm an ax murderer," he says.

Cohen, 30, has a TiVo that mysteriously assumed he wanted Korean news programs. The Philadelphia lawyer gave thumbs down to anything Korean, and his TiVo got the message. Sort of. "The next day, it recorded the Chinese news," he says.

TiVo's 500,000 subscribers use the box primarily to record programs they specifically request, and many laud its ability to pause live broadcasts and record a show's entire season. Still, in TiVo-focused online chat-rooms and in secretive admissions to one another, some say they resent being pigeonholed by TiVo's suggestions.

Like TiVo, other techno-profilers run hard with limited information. Ray Everett-Church of Fremont, Calif., who is gay, ordered Queer as Folk videos from Amazon.com. Understandably, the site began suggesting gay-related calendars and books. Then he bought a baby book for a pregnant friend. So for weeks, the site also recommended parenting books. He says it was as if Amazon.com decided he was "a pregnant gay man."

He fought back, he says, "by inundating it with additional data. I searched for other stuff -- on politics, computers -- so it would stop throwing baby books at me. Now it thinks I've abandoned the baby and I'm preparing for a career in politics."

Everett-Church, a privacy consultant for businesses, predicts that as techno-profiling increases, more people will purposely muck up their profiles. They'll fear ordering books on mental illnesses or sexual preferences because they'll wonder if they'll somehow be publicly identified.

All techno-profiling companies contacted for this article said that information gleaned is for the customer's personal use only. Still, even Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos knows the potential mortification factor.

For a live demonstration before an audience of 500 people, Bezos once logged onto Amazon.com to show how it caters to his interests. The top recommendation it gave him? The DVD for Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity. That popped up because he had previously ordered Barbarella, starring Jane Fonda, a spokesman explains.

Some people have given up trying to manipulate personalization technologies. Dino Leon, a hair-salon owner in Birmingham, Mich., says his TiVo quickly figured out that he and his partner were gay. They were OK with that, but just for fun, they tried to confuse the software by punching in "redneck" programs, like Jerry Springer's talk show.

TiVo wasn't fooled, and kept recording gay shows. Leon believes the box was giving them a message: "You're definitely gay. And you're watching too much TV."

Newviews automatiseert de boekhouding (o.a. scannen/herkennen, UBL2 en directe bankkoppelingen), ook voor accountants- en administratiekantoren: www.newviews.nl

--

Wonen in Bussum, 3 garages, grote tuin en aparte bedrijfsruimte?

http://www.funda.nl/koop/bussum/huis-74981118-lammert-majoorlaan-58

Link naar reactie

Google Phone knows what you want before you search

Patent gurus have discovered an interesting patent filing from Google that could reveal the applications they are planning for the Google phone.

The patent filing details an application that can predict what a user is searching for or the words they are typing in a text message by taking into account the users location, previous searching / messaging history and even the time of day.

This patent is truly groundbreaking in what the application could do. Imagine that you are planning a night out in London. At 6pm Google could predict you are looking for a restaurant and, given your history of looking for directions to Chinese restaurants every week, would select an array of suitable places for you to eat.

Bron: http://www.mad4mobilephones.com/news/621/

Hoe saai is je leven als google kan voorspellen wat je gaat doen?

Link naar reactie

Hoe saai is je leven als google kan voorspellen wat je gaat doen?

Liften in grote gebouwen weten op welke verdieping de kantine zit en hoe laat de lunch is. Ook erg voorspelbaar maar wel praktisch. Zonder saai te zijn is een homepage op m'n mobieltje waar volautomatisch 'taxi utrecht' op staat als ik op Utrecht CS ben ook best praktisch is.

Het nadeel is dat je die persoonlijke voorspelbare dingen vaak al 'automatiseert' (sneltoets voor taxi of doorverbind service) Of dat ze te weinig voorkomen om een apparaat te laten leren (meestal gebruik ik de bus soms een taxi)

Bekijk je het over een grote groep personen dan kan het leuker worden. Maar loop je dus het risico van vreemde resultaten zoals bij de Tivo.

Link naar reactie

Ik krijg er toch behoorlijke jeuk van.

Kijk, je weet dat je leven voor een groot deel al gemanipuleerd wordt en dat is in zeker zin ook niet erg want marketing heeft ook een postief effect op je omgevingsbewustzijn. Maar je wereld wordt volgens mij steeds kleiner als je alleen maar "meer van het zelfde" krijgt aangeboden. Waarom weer naar de chinees in Londen i.p.v. suggesties voor een echte culinaire ervaring ?

Bovendien, de kans dat je door google in een fabrieksmatige vreetschuur terecht komt is vele malen groter dan dat je naar een klein, onbekend maar heel bijzonder lokaal etablisement wordt geleid.

Google everywhere gaat mij daarom toch net even te ver!

Link naar reactie

Helemaal met je eens. Leer ook liever Italiaans om de lokale bevolking daar te vragen waar ze zelf uit eten gaan dan te zoeken op google naar trattoria of een reisgids te raadplegen. Maar ja geautomatiseerd zoeken naar de uitzondering is veel moeilijker dan zoeken naar de regel. En die regel is toch vaak van toepassing en praktisch (zoek een openbaar toilet in de buurt)

Link naar reactie

Helemaal met je eens. Leer ook liever Italiaans om de lokale bevolking daar te vragen waar ze zelf uit eten gaan dan te zoeken op google naar trattoria of een reisgids te raadplegen. Maar ja geautomatiseerd zoeken naar de uitzondering is veel moeilijker dan zoeken naar de regel. En die regel is toch vaak van toepassing en praktisch (zoek een openbaar toilet in de buurt)

Als google weet wanneer je moet piesen is dat inderdaad een erg handige feature ;D

Link naar reactie

Als google weet wanneer je moet piesen is dat inderdaad een erg handige feature ;D

Google: zoek boom!

Maar jouw zoekopdracht naar 'chinees restaurant' heeft toch een andere betekenis wanneer je thuis zit dan wanneer je in Rome loopt? Een patent er bij voor het sorteren op basis van (echte) ervaringen in plaats van de vreetschuur met de beste techniek om zoekresultaten te optimaliseren en je bent toch gelukkig?

Link naar reactie

Google: zoek boom!

Ter vermijding van een bon voor wildplassen

Google: zoek boom zonder politie!

Met een GPS track & trrace zeker geen utopie. :D

Maar jouw zoekopdracht naar 'chinees restaurant' heeft toch een andere betekenis wanneer je thuis zit dan wanneer je in Rome loopt?

Jawel, maar ik ervaar een verwijzing naar een chinees restaurant in Rome als ruis i.p.v. van hulp. 2x een dergelijke ervaring en google is mij kwijt.

Een patent er bij voor het sorteren op basis van (echte) ervaringen in plaats van de vreetschuur met de beste techniek om zoekresultaten te optimaliseren en je bent toch gelukkig?

Ik vraag mij af of dat je weet hoe dicht je tegen de realiteit aanzit. PM me maar voor een toelichting...

Link naar reactie

zie weblog van een NRC journalist:

http://weblogs.nrc.nl/weblog/klaver/2007/03/10/film-over-de-macht-van-google/

Film over de macht van Google

Ozan Hilici en Jrgen Mayer, studenten van de Hochschule Ulm in Duitsland, hebben een flashanimatie gemaakt over de macht van Google als informatieprovider en verzamelaar van persoonlijke gegevens van gebruikers. Het is een korte en krachtige film. Het project is de bachelor thesis voor de opleiding digitale media die Hilici en Mayer volgen.

Peter Brantley van de California Digital Library heeft onlangs op zijn weblog gezegd dat hij spijt heeft dat zijn universiteit een overeenkomst met Google heeft gesloten. Google zal 2,5 miljoen boeken uit de universiteitsbibliotheek van de University of California digitaliseren. Brantley treedt niet in details omdat zijn werkgever een geheimhoudingsverklaring heeft moeten tekenen, maar zijn betoog komt er op neer dat de California Digital Library, dat deel uitmaakt van de universiteitsbibliotheek van de University of California, een overhaaste beslissing heeft genomen en nu te veel macht uit handen heeft gegeven.

Newviews automatiseert de boekhouding (o.a. scannen/herkennen, UBL2 en directe bankkoppelingen), ook voor accountants- en administratiekantoren: www.newviews.nl

--

Wonen in Bussum, 3 garages, grote tuin en aparte bedrijfsruimte?

http://www.funda.nl/koop/bussum/huis-74981118-lammert-majoorlaan-58

Link naar reactie

Ik word hier altijd een beetje moe van, het beeld dat van Google in de media geschetst wordt, als almachtige alleskenner.

Een beetje websitebeheerder heeft wel degelijk invloed in wat een zoekmachine wel en niet mag zien van zijn/haar website. Dit is te regelen via bestandjes zoals robots.txt en spiders.txt.

Het voert te ver voor dit forum om dit uit te leggen, maar er is een soort van gentlemen's agreement bij makers van zoekmachines om de informatie over het uitsluiten van gedeelten van websites vast te leggen in deze twee bestandjes.

Dus als weer eens iemand moord en brand schreeuwt omdat Google 'alles weet', denk ik, regel je zaakjes eerst eens goed...

... doet leuke dingen op internet ...

Link naar reactie

Las een paar dagen geleden nog dat de directeur van google voor spanje een gphone aankondigde maar dat is nu door de directeur van google australia weer ontkracht. lees hier meer

Hoe dan ook, met of zonder een gphone lijkt de introductie van google software met alle daarbij behorende api's me wel een kans voor leuke software op mobieltjes.

Wie is er al bezig met leuke toepassingen van google die op mobieltjes meerwaarde biedt (of op de pc)?

Link naar reactie

Wie is er al bezig met leuke toepassingen van google die op mobieltjes meerwaarde biedt (of op de pc)?

Ik ben bezig om deelnemers aan de www.roparun.nl onderweg fotos te kunnen laten schieten die ze dan naar een e-mail adres kunnen mailen en waarbij dan de geografische coördinaten worden mee gezonden. Vervolgens wordt de foto zichtbaar op punten op een geografische kaart van Google Earth.

Ben alleen nog op zoek naar het verdienmodel. Ik overweeg om het geheel weer zichtbaar te maken in "InnoLand" een 3D wereld die we gelijktijdig gaan lanceren.

Kun je dus virtueel de roparun lopen en op de video schermen zie je dan de wisselplekken en de fotos van mensen die binnen komen. Tevens een overzichtkaart waar je teams als gekleurde stippen over het scherm ziet kruipen. Het thuisfront en de mensen onderweg kunnen dan al chattend en kijkend mee genieten.

Het verdienmodel wat we nu hebben is puur alleen sponsor namen noemen in de 3D wereld.

Perry

Link naar reactie
Gast
Dit topic is nu gesloten voor nieuwe reacties.
Hide Sidebar
  • Wil je onze Nieuwsflits ontvangen?
    Deze verzenden we elk kwartaal.